Depending on word-of-mouth may be an effective marketing tool, but in today’s society, there is far more to consider in order to effectively attract valuable new customers.
From creating websites to collecting case studies and customer testimonials, trades-people must manage a multitude of marketing strategies if they are to emerge from the proverbial haystack of skilled workers.
But where to begin? Here are our top tips for marketing your business as a trades-person.
1. Get a website
A website is one of the first things customers look for in their search for a business. Not only does a website legitimise a businesses’ offering, it also sets you apart from other businesses delivering similar services.
Put useful customer information at the forefront. Here is a list of important information you should include:
- Your business name and address
- Contact details (such as telephone and e-mail)
- Information about your business (if you have a unique selling point, state it clearly in your ‘About Us’ section)
- Any trading bodies and trading standards scheme you are registered with
- Any qualifications which are recognised in your sector
- Photos of previous work and comments from happy customers
If you haven’t built a website before, don’t worry, you don’t need to be a coder to make it look professional. In fact, there are plenty of online website builders which do all the work for you.
2. Get Seen
While there are many methods for ranking well in the search results, some are more effective for small businesses than others. Here are some top tips:
- Organise your website’s structure – This means making your website easy to navigate. In short, you should consider how easy your pages are to find and how well they link up with one another.
- Optimise your website’s content – For this, you should include relevant phrases which are frequently searched for. For instance, if you’re a plumbing company in Northampton, the phrase ‘plumbers in Northampton’ would be a phrase you should include in the titles of your pages, along with headings and body text.
3. Get listed
To support your search ranking efforts, you’ll want to get your business listed in local online directories.
To learn more about including your business in the latest edition of July Local Traders Publications, simply click here:
4. Get on Social Media
Social Media is a powerful tool for reaching audiences who are yet to come into contact with your business.
Fun Fact! According to Screwfix, 48% of tradesmen claim to win new business solely with the help of social media channels. What’s more, social media platforms are free to use, so you don’t need a huge budget to get started.
Facebook should be your first port of call. This is the most popular social media platform in the world, and should be perfect for targeting key customers.
Anything from deals, promotions to case studies (before and after photos are particularly eye-catching) should all be used to peak the interest of Facebook users.
Many people also often rely on Facebook to locate a business’ website and/or contact information – so make sure to have all your details on your page.
5. Get Helpful
With thousands of businesses listed online, it sometimes takes more than just a directory listing, great website and fancy business cards to get potential customers interested in your business.
Today, more and more people are hunting for trades-people who not only offer a first-class service, but go the extra mile to help their customers.
6. Get Leaflets
Consider a leafleting campaign.
Direct marketing can continue to play a big role in meeting these objectives and keeping your brand and your name fresh in the mind of customers.
Getting a leaflet right is not always easy, and the challenge is to try and make it stand out for the reader and provide the necessary information to drive sales and enquiries.
If you need some help with your next leaflet campaign, we are eager to hear from you.
So there we have it, our top tips to get your business noticed.
For more information about leaflet design, leaflet distribution, or advertising in our A5 Business Directory, don’t hesitate to get in touch with our friendly team!